Travel + Leisure names Boracay’s Discovery Shores World’s 5th bestPosted on January 28th, 2013 under Beauty of the Philippines
A luxury hotel in the tourist favorite Boracay island has been named by a prestigious travel magazine as one of the best in the world.
Discovery Shores ranked fifth in Travel + Leisure’s “World’s Best Hotels” list, surpassing hundreds of hotels from different parts of the globe.
It got a score of 96.77.
“Barefoot elegance is undoubtedly the vibe on this tiny island, where the 2 and a half-mile stretch known as White Beach is often singled out for being the softest in the world. The 88 spacious suites all have large glass walls that look towards a scenic rock garden, but chances are you’ll spend more time by the water,” Travel + Leisure said of Discovery Shores in an article posted on its website.
“Take a dip in the infinity pool, or jet-ski on the crystalline area. For people-watching, head to The Sandbar, where they stir up delicious mojitos, infused with local flavors like lychee and mango. Once you’re sufficiently refueled, karaoke your heart out, with over 1,000 songs (mostly in English) to choose from at the resort’s recreation lounge,” it added.
Topping the list is Singita Grumeti Reserves at the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania with a score of 98.25, followed by Triple Creek Ranch in Darby, Montana; South Ocean Lodge in Kangaroo Island, Australia; and Oberoi Udaivilas in Udaipur, India.
Landing in sixth place is Nayara Hotel, Spa and Gardens at La Fortuna de San Carlos in Costa Rica, followed by Singita Kruger National Park in South Africa; Palacio Duhau – Park Hyatt in Buenos Aires, Argentina; and Ngorongoro Sopa Lounge in Arusha, Tanzania. Singita Sabi Sand at the Kruger National Park Area in South Africa, meanwhile, rounded out the Top 10.
Travel + Leisure said the results are based on a survey of its readers using the following voting categories: rooms, location, service, food and value.
“Everyone wants to know where to stay, and for 17 years running, we’ve asked T+L readers, who are passionate about travel, to vote on the hotels they love the most. The resulting World’s Best Awards are a collection of properties that go above and beyond,” the magazine’s staff said.
Here is the full list of Travel + Leisure’s top hotels in the world:
- Singita Grumeti Reserves, Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
- Triple Creek Ranch, Darby, Montana, United States
- South Ocean Lodge, Kangaroo Island, Australia
- Oberoi Udaivilas, Udaipur, India
- Discovery Shores, Boracay, Philippines
- Nayara Hotel, Spa and Gardens, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
- Singita Kruger National Park, South Africa
- Palacio Duhau – Park Hyatt, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Ngorongoro Sopa Lounge, Arusha, Tanzania
- Singita Sabi Sand, Kruger National Park Area, South Africa
- The Peninsula, Bangkok, Thailand
- Wentworth Mansion, Charleston, South Carolina, United States
- Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve Lodges, Kruger National Park Area, South Africa
- One&Only, Cape Town, South Africa
- Kirawira Luxury Tented Camp, Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
- Lodge of Kauri Cliffs, Matauri Bay, New Zealand
- Mombo Camp and Little Mombo Camp, Moremi Game Reserve, Botswana
- Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, Thailand
- Tu Tu’tun Lodge, Gold Beach, Oregon, United States
- Fairmont Mara Safari Club, Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya
- Osprey at Beaver Creek, Colorado, United States
- Waldorf Astoria (formerly the Elysian), Chicago, Illinois, United States
- The Peninsula, Shanghai, China
- Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at the Bosphorus, Turkey
- Lizard Island Resort, Great Barrier Reef, Australia
- Hotel Santa Caterina, Amalfi, Italy
- andBeyond Kichwa Tembo, Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya
- Oberoi Rajvillas, Jaipur, India
- Hotel Salto Chico/Explora Patagonia, Torres del Paine, Chile
- The Sebastian, Vail, Colorado, United States
- The Peninsula, Hong Kong
- The Wilcox, Aiken, South Carolina, United States
- Live Aqua, Cancun, Mexico
- Saxon Boutique Hotel, Villas and Spa, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek, Dallas, Texas, United States
- Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur, India
- Capella, Singapore
- Grand Velas, Riviera Maya, Mexico
- Amansara, Siem Riep, Cambodia
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, Big Island, Hawaii
- Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa, Cape Town, South Africa
- Four Seasons Resort, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- The Peninsula, Chicago
- Cape Grace, Cape Town, South Africa
- Palazzo Avino (formerly Palazzo Sasso), Ravello, Italy
- Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club, Nanyuki, Kenya
- Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra, India
- Lodge at Doonbeg, County Clare, Ireland
- Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, Budapest, Hungary
- Huka Lodge, Taupo, New Zealand
- Morrison House, Alexandria, Virginia, United States