Chocolate Hills in Trip Advisor’s World Dramatic Landscapes Top 5Posted on September 18th, 2012 under Beauty of the Philippines
Chocolate Hills, Bohol
The Philippines’ Chocolate Hills in Bohol has been chosen by Trip Advisor as one of the most dramatic landscapes in the world.
On the global travel website, Chocolate Hills was listed in 5th spot out of 10 alongside other breathtaking landscapes such as Badlands National Park in South Dakota, US, Cano Cristales in Villavicencio, Colombia, The Pinnacles in Cervantes, Australia, Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia, South America and Sossusvlei, Namib-Naukluft Park, Namibia, Africa.
The Chocolate Hills is an unusual geological formation with at least 1,260 hills but there may be as many as 1,776 hills spread over an area of more than 50 square kilometres (20 sq miles). They are covered in green grass that turns brown during the dry season, hence the name.
The Chocolate Hills is a famous tourist attraction of Bohol. They are featured in the provincial flag and seal to symbolize the abundance of natural attractions in the province. They are in the Philippine Tourism Authority’s list of tourist destinations in the Philippines; they have been declared the country’s third National Geological Monument and proposed for inclusion in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Here’s the complete top 10 list:
- Badlands National Park, South Dakota, US
- Cano Cristales, Villavicencio, Colombia
- The Pinnacles, Cervantes, Australia
- Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia, South America
- Chocolate Hills, Bohol Island, Philippines
- Grand Prismatic Spring, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, US
- Mineral Forest, Pamukkale, Turkey
- The Wave, Arizona, US
- Sossusvlei, Namib-Naukluft Park, Namibia, Africa
- Giant’s Causeway, Northern Ireland, UK