Pinoy journalist named Reuters Reporter of the YearPosted on March 29th, 2012 under We are Pinoys!
Filipino journalist Benjamin Lim was chosen by Reuters wire agency as its Reporter of the Year.
The award is given every year by Thomson Reuters, one of the world’s largest international media organizations.
Lim, a Reuters’ special correspondent in China, was selected for writing several “scoops” in 2011 such as:
- China’s decision to clean up $ 1.710 trillion (RMB 10 trillion) in local government debt;
- Appointment of China’s new banking, securities and insurance regulators;
- Democratic People’s Republic of Korea’s military’s pledge of allegiance to Kim Jong-un;
- China’s plan to build two indigenous aircraft carriers; and
- China’s pledge to invest $ 1.5 trillion in seven new strategic industries.
Lim, who was previously Reuters bureau chief in Taipei and Beijing, received the Scoop of the Year award in 2007. He wrote a story that correctly predicted the line-up of the Communist Party’s 17th Politburo Standing Committee.